Monday, December 1, 2008

The Home Invasion-- For Real, Not a Lie, Not a Joke

There will be no pictures for this blog. I am simply going to vent the events of the past weekend, and the emotions I and my roommates are going through right now. This was thanksgiving weekend, and I have a lot more to be thankful for.
I was not there when it happened, but was not prepared for what I faced when I finally did go home. I cried. I'm still crying, and I'm crying right now as I write this blog. This was my home, and now it will never be again. I am not staying there tonight, tomorrow, or ever again. They might come back.
I am extremely lucky that I wasn't there. I am extremely grateful nothing was taken from me except my sense of security, my home, my sense of trust. I am grateful Keith is alive and Hugues and Igor and Christian are all safe.

I was house sitting for Bill up in the Bronx. It had been a wonderful thanksgiving, going to the Macy's Parade. And then I got the text message from the landlord: "The locks to the doors have been changed, but had they been locked both top and bottom as they should have been, perhaps the incident wouldn't have happened". The incident? what incident. I called my roommate Hugues. "Hugues I just got a text from the landlord, what incident?".

"Dude you don't know? we were robbed, last night 3 guys in masks came in, went to Keith's room and asked where the rent money was. they weren't playing. I think they hit him. They tied him up and stuff and when the couldn't find the rent money, they took his laptop. Nothing else from anyone else's rooms. Nothing was taken from you. Dude, did you put your flat screen TV on the floor before you left?"

"NO, I didn't". Nothing was taken from anyone else? I don't understand! what were they after, how did they get in?"
"Dude this is an inside job, police said that there was no forced entry so either they had a key, or someone let them in. Of course the landlord has a business to protect so they are saying we left the doors open, but dude, I know that it was locked, Keith knows it was locked."
"I'm supposed to come home tonight!"
"Are you sure you want to do that, I'm not staying there, Keith is not staying there, and the other 2 are out of town. If you have a place I say stay there. Look, my mom is on the other line, I gotta go."
"Please call me back! when you can!" I say.
I quickly call one of the landlords. He tells me to call his cousin-- the other landlord who will explain everything. "The house is safe now, we changed all the locks and the keys are there with Andre upstairs (The Navy Seal) who will be sure that only people who are supposed to have keys have them."

I call the other landlord. "William, someone left the front door unlocked, and then maybe your roommates don't want to admit but they left their door unlocked and someone came in and tied Keith up. They took his laptop. Look, I live in a nice neighborhood this can happen anywhere. But the building is safe now, we changed the locks".
"I don't understand, if there was no forced entry, what is the point in changing the locks? How do we know someone didn't just let them in?"
"Look William, the police are investigating it now.
"I'm not going back. I'm sorry but this is my 60 days notice, I'm moving out".
I tried calling Keith. No answer. I leave a message praying that he is okay, and to call me. I text message Keith. Did I tell Hugues to call me back? I text Hugues to be sure to call me. I tell Bill and his father that my apartment was the site of a home invasion last night and I cannot go home . Can I stay? Can I move here in 60 days till I decide what to do? Bill says to me: "I told you so, moving to that area was a big mistake. Admit it William, you were wrong, what were you trying to prove anyway moving there? sure you can come here"

I moved there because Bill and I broke up. I had no where else to go, the room was nice, it was fully furnished. I met all the neighbors. I was the first to move in, then Hugues, Keith, Christian, and then Igor. We were a family. We would watch TV together. Cook together, talk about how our days went. Listen to Hugues have sex. Drag Keith with me to Yoga. Listen to Christian talk about her long days at work. Brag about the perks I had with my job, my blog... We were a FAMILY. We felt safe. We NEVER had a problem coming home.

Hugues calls me back. He tells me that he thinks its one of the other tenants on the property. How did they know that we didn't mail our rent checks in that He (Hugues) collects them? How did they know what date that the rent was to be there since the date changes every month depending on the landlords schedule? How did they know what apartment to barge into? How did they get in? why did this tenant ask Hugues 4 times that day if everyone else had paid on time or not. Why did she go to the bank to get money for her rent, tell Hugues she was leaving right before the home invasion, and then come back right after and still have no rent money?

"Dude, both Keith and I have been let out of our agreement with 30 days not 60 days. You need to do the same or you will be alone in the house when they come back. Come back tomorrow and get your important stuff, documents, valuables and come back for the rest later. Don't sleep here, I won't."

I let the landlord know that I am leaving in 30 days. He understands. He asks if I can help him out by posting an ad for him on craiglist for my room.

Work was horrible for me today. What will I find when I go home? Will it be safe? My bosses are AMAZING. They let me leave early so I can go home while it is still light out. Someone responded already to my ad on craigslist and wants to see the place at 7PM. I agree.

I get home, the Navy Seal upstairs hands me my new keys and tells me its going to be alright. Keith and Hugues are home. No one else. We sit and we talk... Keith has a bruise on his face and his lip is busted. "I thought it was you guys playing a joke at first. Then I realized it was for real. They asked me where the rent money was. I told them I don't know, I didn't have it. They said they were going to kill me. I got scared, I told them Hugues in the next room had it. Sorry Hugues, I was scared".
"It's alright man" Hugues says. "so I was home William when this was happening to Keith, I didn't know. Someone jiggled my door handle but they didn't knock or try to bust in. I didn't feel good so I just didn't get up. I tell you its an inside job, that bitch even texted me during asking me if I was still home. She knows I was home, I told her I was sick. She still didn't give me any money.. its fishy man."

Keith replies "She asked me several times too if I was the only one home that day. I need to tell the police. They took my computer. My paper I was working on for school was on there, 18 pages of hard work. All my notes too was on there. My professor will understand but all that work, they took my phone too man". That is why Keith never responded to my phone messages.

I can see that Keith has fear in his eyes. I have never seen Hugues look scared. "We use to be here alone, just the 2 of us Will" says Hugues. "It was so safe" I say. Every single noise makes us jump.

I go to my room, everything has been pulled out from under the bed and stuff. Clearly they went through my stuff. They didn't take a single thing. I don't understand. I'm grateful, and I am glad Keith and Hugues are okay. It feels so dirty. I cant sleep here, they might come back tonight. Hugues decides to stay but calls his really good friend to spend the night with him. They will sleep with knives under their pillow. Keith is going to his girlfriends. Igor is coming back from a Chicago trip. He knows what happened but I'm not sure he feels the impact yet. Christian went to an appointment. She told me we'd talk later. What's going to happen to us? to them? to MY FAMILY!

The girl who comes to see the room loves the place. She asks me "wasn't there a shooting or home invasion in this area recently". I tell her yes. Nothing more. "I wanna move in this weekend she says......" I let the landlord know.

I grab my valuables and go home to my new home at Bills house. I cry on the train. I call Herbelicious to meet me with the dogs in the park.... .I cry. "This was OUR HOME I cry, they took it all away".

I tell all of you please make sure your doors are locked no matter what city you live in. And please, please leave your comments to this blog.. I NEED to hear from you...I NEED to know that I'm not alone.......

Thanks for letting me vent... Please pardon my spelling and Grammar tonight

William


13 comments:

Unknown said...

William ! Nothing I can say will take away the violation, anger, helplessness and disappointment you are feeling. Forgetting what can be said and what can be done from this distance, if there is something you need, do not hesitate to take a breath before you ask me. I can not create miracles or provide what I do not have, but as your friend, I will provide anything and everything I have to help you and your friends. You and your family are the GOOD people. Never forget or loose sight of that unarguable fact.

I am sorry an invasion occurred of your space, your property and most regrettably, your psyche. Speaking from experience - you must be - and you are - stronger and more resilient in ALL ways than the events which occurred and those who perpetrated those events.

We must make sure the good people, such as you and your friends, prevail.

Mike

Anonymous said...

Dude,

Like the other person said, there's nothing that I can say that will take away how you're feeling right now. However, I can relate to your experience. But, I'm not going to talk about that now.

Feel free to call me if you need a shoulder to cry on. I'll be praying that you find some comfort during this hard time. Just keep in mind that you are a truly great person...remember, I've known you since that workshop back in high school...heck, remember that we roomed with each other for that workshop.

Be strong and stay strong. Remember that karma will come after that ass(es) who took your sense of security away. Email me if you need to...but it seems like you have a great support of people there, too.

Take care and remember that even across the country, someone still values you and knows that you're a great person. God be with you.

Ernest

Unknown said...

William - I am so sorry! Things like this are so difficult and draining - emotionally and physically. I'm glad none of you were hurt, but sorry that Keith's laptop was stolen. If he has the serial number for his laptop, that can be a huge help to the police...I don't know all the details of what the police can do with the serial number, but they can run reports or something and send notifications to pawn shops somehow to see if things like that show up. My thoughts are with you and your roommates.

The Herbster said...

William,

You are not alone! While this is tragic, let's focus on the fact that no one was seriously hurt. Material things can be replaced but a life can't be replaced and the loss of someone you care for is something that can never be filled by anything or anyone. Your emotions are completely understandable....but alone you are not! We will get thru this and everyone will be fine, it's in moments like these that we should pause and give thanks for all that we truly have - friends that truly care about each other.

Touch Of Aloha said...

I am soooo glad to hear that you all are not hurt and are gonna be ok. There is nothing more terrible than feeling violated and no one should ever have to go through what you guys did. Big hugs and know I'm thinking of you guys. I don't have time to write more, but will get back with you after work.

BriGuy said...

I think how I feel is summed up in everyone else's comments. Very glad you weren't hurt, and really sorry for Keith being attacked. I hope you guys will pursue finding out what happened that night. It does sound like someone had a plan and knew exactly who they were going for. They shouldn't get away with it. Be safe!

Anonymous said...

Hey man.. Wow, I'm sorry to hear this.. I am glad no one was seriously hurt, but it still get's to you when someone you don't know invades your space... Don't let this situation break your spirit You are too special. Keep your head up.. Aloha to you and the roomies.

"He kehau ho`oma`ema`e ke aloha"

Translation:
Love is like a cleansing dew. The cleansing power of aloha can soothe and heal. Hurt, pain, and suffering yield to aloha's healing power.

Malama pono a me ho'opomaika'i..

eRic..

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry to hear this, William. No one should have to feel unsafe, violated and displaced all in one fell swoop.

You're already getting excellent feedback and sage advice so I'll just echo my happiness in hearing no one was seriously hurt.

That and, when the world verges on overwhelming, don't forget to breathe.

dxo

Anonymous said...

I was sorry to read about your home invasion.(back in my day,we got robbed) The best thing to come out of all of this, is that no one was seriously injured or worse. It will, however, gnaw at your psyche,and there in lies the big problem. As a teenager and young adult in the mid to late sixties, growing up in what had just been named the South Bronx,(didn't know that then) my family and I experienced a series of robberies, where clothes, records, jewelry and the like, had been stolen- even food from the refrigerator had been taken,and the bastards even took a dump in the bathroom, and didn't flush. For a long time, we were without TV, stereo etc. and the feeling of violation,and having privacy challenged,was, and to this day,very haunting. That is what I mean by the robbery, playing upon your phyche. I was afraid to come home from school, in that I might find the apt. in vandalized disarray,( which one time I did)and the police were really powerless in catching anyone. Also,at least back then, when we reported it, we were treated as though we were the criminals, as they were rude,and mean to my family and me. Then again, in the seventies, as a married woman living in Mt Vernon, it almost happened again. For many years, I would dream about my old apt. in the Bronx, and those dark days,which put a damper on an otherwise good childhood, and I would be jolted awake,being glad that it was just a dream. Fortunately,now,the dreams or
nightmares, re practically non existent,but I am very much cautious of my surroundings,and all of the places that I have since called home, either had a diligent watch dog- I miss Poppy, or there was always someone there, when I wasn't.

I, like the police, know that it is an inside job,and I don't blame you for wanting to leave, because you will be hit again. Trust me on that one. And a word of advice to any of you that are apt. hunting. Many of the old buildings, have fire escapes that lead up to the roof,and if you live on the top floor, you'd be a sitting duck. Even with burglar bars at the windows, they managed to get in, so try to avoid a top floor, window in the back area, if you can. If living on the ground floor, make sure that your windows are properly secured. Having a watch dog was a great deterrent for my family in the eightes. Make sure that you are familiar with your surroundings, and never give out any information about yourself to any of your neighbors. This blog was helpful for me,and I hope that it was of some help to you as well. If you need to continue venting, or what ever you need, please don't hestitate to get in touch with me. I have the age and the wisdom- especially in this instance. You feel helpless and violated, but those of us that LOVE you, will get you through this Don't stop living your life, just live it with a little more caution. There is no place anywhere, where this could not happen. You are a very sensitive, but resilient individual. and like a cat, you will land on your feet. My oldest, Andrew, and I,well, we got your back.

Touch Of Aloha said...

So, it's a couple days later and I'm checking in on you and seeing how you're doing? Are you completely moved out now? That's good to know that you're not gonna be there and I'm soooo sorry that you and your hanai ohana will be apart. I had to go back and re-read your blog cause the other day I quickly skimmed through it and got only the 'jist' of what happened. I can't imagine what you all went through especially your friend Keith. I do hope those people who did this to you guys gets what they deserve. This sucks butt man! Big hugs and know I'm thinking of you all. Email me your new address ok?

Flux said...

a
William, I'm sorry I didn't realize what had happened to you and especially to Keith. I just got to read your story. You seemed so calm last time we texted that I didnt know any of this was going on.
Are you guys going to fight this and find out if this person is guilty or is it a no win situation? I always try to be aware of my space and my home but this sounds like they were really on a mission.
I am glad that Keith and all of you are alive and relatively well.

You know you could have called me as well. But it's good to know you have somewhere to go and that you have such a big network of friends that are there for you (me included).
Much Love
Robert

Anonymous said...

Hey Will,
Well, holy crap! I finally decided to check your blog after the text on Thanksgiving. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I don't even know what to say. If you need anything, just ask. My thoughts are with you and your family.

~Melanie

Angie said...

I am so sorry! I am glad to hear that you've moved out. I can't imagine how violated you must feel. I hope that you find your inner strength and confidence again. Things like this happen in every state, every neighborhood. Don't let it discourage you from living your dream in New York. Continue having amazing adventures and creating wonderful stories.

You are in my prayers.