Thursday, November 6, 2008

Halloween Dancers and New York Runners

I know that this week some of you are feeling like I’m just posting Blog after Blog, but this week was full of events: NYC Halloween, The New York Marathon, and Election Day. I have to post certain blogs in a timely manner otherwise they will become old news.

So this Blog is to tell you quickly about my Halloween (because I know some of you are just dying to know what I did and if you don’t have a Facebook account, you wouldn’t have seen any of the pictures), and my trip to see the runners at the New York Marathon.

For the last 2 years, Halloween was special for me because my ex-boyfriend owned a funeral home and we would throw a huge Halloween party- Halloween in a FUNERAL HOME. I would actually start planning that party in late summer. We would ask our guest to come dressed up in the theme, and also to bring a canned good so that Bill and I (yes- my exes name was Bill and I’m Will- Will and Bill, Billiam) could donate the items to one of our local church’s holiday food drives. The first year we threw a Huge Luau complete with Volcano and all. The Second year we left the theme as Halloween.


But this year, since Bill and I broke up, I had no Halloween party to plan. So Herbelicious, Robert, Ivan, and I decided to spend Halloween like every other New Yorker does-- by going to the Halloween Parade and then bar hopping. The Halloween parade in NYC is unique as anyone can join in and march as long as you have a costume. It seems to be getting bigger and bigger every year, and it is such a site to see all the people dressed up on the subway and in the streets. Being on the subway was like being on the Starship Enterprise on Star Trek. As the doors would slide open, in would walk aliens and strange beings. The whole atmosphere of the city was very festive.

Unfortunately, Herbelicious and I got out of work too late to meet up with Robert and Ivan at the parade, so we just agreed to meet for dinner at a Thai Restaurant in the East Village. Both Herbelicious and I didn’t have any costumes so we decided on jeans and FITTED shirts (like anything in a gay boy’s wardrobe would be Baggy HA!). When we got out of the Subway Station, we immediately saw a costume shop and decided to pop in. We both purchased sparkly masquerade masks. On the street Herberelicious bought a Headband that lit up. We decided to walk from the west side to the east side just so we could see all the costumes.


No sooner had we donned our masks, that people started commenting that we had great costumes as The Ambiguously Gay Duo (A Saturday Night Live Cartoon). Are we that gay that all we need to do is put on a mask and we are suddenly The Ambiguously Gay Duo? (I don’t think we are ambiguous at all!)

We met "Doctor" Robert and Ivan at a bar briefly before heading off to the Thai restaurant. We pigged out on Thai food and had Thai Ice Tea. After dinner Ivan left us because he had to work the next morning, so Robert, Herbelicious, and I headed to URGE on 2nd and 4th. Urge use to be an old haunt (get it? Halloween, Haunt?) of mine before they got all preppy and started decorating like something you would find out of Trading Spaces (it use to be dark and seedy). We settled at the corner of the bar which proved to be a great place, because the go-go boys dance on the bar. To my surprise, the go-go boys were HOT and friendly and even allowed me to take their pictures. Herbelicious and I have a weakness for go-go boys. We LOVE them, not enough to give them a ton of money, but we do know how to make $20 last for 5 strippers yet make it appear as though we are loaded. (Use $1 dollar bills honey, only $1 dollar bills and make them work for it!) One boy even asked to borrow my mask for the rest of his set. That proved to be a mistake because though he looked cute in it, after he was done, he went in the back and I had a hard time tracking him down to get my mask back (it cost me $13! so I wasn't going to let him have it!)—And he didn’t even get me drink! And that is how I spent Halloween. Nothing Special.


On Sunday November 2, was the New York Marathon. This time Robert had to work, so Herbelicious and I decided to meet Ivan out at the Marathon. We agreed to meet at the 72nd street entrance of Central Park on the west side, where the finish line would be. It was so crowded and with all the police barricades, it was impossible to get a glimpse of the runners coming through, or get near enough to the finish line. All we were able to catch were runners meeting up with their supportive friends. Since it was so cold, the Marathoners were each given plastic Mylar blankets to cover up with (the same kind paramedics use when a patient is going into shock). Herbelicous said to me that he would like to run the Marathon next year, and that he would expect me and all his friends to stand out in the cold and wait for him to finish. He also said that he didn’t want a Mylar blanket, but rather a big fur coat (the kind Beyonce might wear on a float in the Macy’s Day Parade). He wanted us waiting at the finish line and then when he crossed, to come and wrap him up in the fur. He even had a dream about it!

Herbelicious commented on how a lot of the runners had salt crystals on their eyebrows, or big white patches on the back of their shirts where their sweat had dried and left the salt behind (gross! I didn’t want to get close enough to smell any of the runners). I must say, that these runners must be very proud of themselves, after all, 26.5 miles is a long ways, and I couldn’t do it.

It got too cold to keep standing out there waiting and watching runners we didn’t know, so the three of us hopped on a bus downtown, did a little shopping, and ended up at Rawhides...................................watching yet another go-go boy.



Congrats to all the Runners.


Learn Spanish!

Él corrió el maratón de Nueva York

He ran the New York Marathon.

el bailarin estava muy caliente!

The Dancer was very hot!

4 comments:

AC said...

tengo un cacahuete en el ombligo!!

that's the best spanish i know besides the rude things.

nice blog - i'm tired from reading all your activities!

(this is alexis btw)

The Herbster said...

You know after reading this blog it's probably the public’s perception now that you, Robert, Ivan and I are quite the socialites - going here and doing this or the other! This proves that NYC ROCKS!!! Where else can you have such a blast and do as much???

Lazysundae WAT UP!!!! Glad you can now see there is much more to me than just my - SUPER HYPER HELPFUL UM SIDE! HAHAHAHA - it’s all smoke and mirrors baby!!! Seriously - welcome!

I love our masks - I've always said it and will say it again! Sometimes the smallest item can make a big impression (well that depends : ] holla!)- it was great to have that couple stop us and ask if we were the gay ambiguous duo - I still laugh just thinking of it! I say we bring our masks to the club next time and I bet you we will start a new trend!

While I was joking about running the marathon – who knows maybe I (or we) should do it– just to see what it’s like – maybe then I can get real abs – but they will be “winter abs” not spring or summer abs – never mind!

Touch Of Aloha said...

You know what? You 4 are the male roles of Sex in the City LOL Love the blogs and my husband was laughing at the pic of the guy with the GIGANTIC BLOW UP PENIS! Too funny :)

What's up w/ the word verification? The word below is Spew LMFAO!

Touch Of Aloha said...

P.S. You should write your own version of Sex In The City but call it Sex In The Citaaaay! LOL