Friday, November 14, 2008

2008 Emery Awards

For those of you who have not heard of The Hetrick-Martin Institute, the home of the Harvey Milk High School, I suggest before you continue on with this blog, you read my previous blog on the Fall Festival which was also a gala to benefit the Hetrick-Martin Institute.

http://outnaboutnewyork.blogspot.com/2008/09/fall-festival-2008.html





The Emery Awards is a huge annual gala benefit that honors “individuals and organizations that go above and beyond” to meet the needs of the young people at the Hetrick-Martin Institute. The award winners “embody the commitment in providing opportunities” to these young people as well as the entire LGBTQ community. This year’s event was hosted by Tim Gunn of Project Runway fame; Honoring Actress Mary-Louise Parker (Angels in America, Weeds); MAC (make-up) Aids Fund- a major supporter; Peter Wilson (an attorney who opens his Hamptons home up for the Hetrick-Martin Hamptons Event as well as supports many agencies in the LGBTQ community); and youth Honoree Judith Torres (student body president at the Harvey Milk School).

There was also a special guest performance by the hottest out man on Broadway (now that his show Xanadu is closed he is not technically on Broadway right now) Cheyenne Jackson; a live auction with drag performer Bianca Del Rio; and an after party DJ’d by the Lady Bunny (of Wigstock fame). Other Guests Included BD Wong (Jurassic park, Law & Order); rapper /singer/actress/ and musician Eve (of the TV show Eve... DUH!); And Tony Kushner to name a few.

I must applaud Mr. Thomas Krever, Executive Director of the Hetrick-Martin Institute (a friend of Jose’s) who did an amazing job with making this event a success. Jose made a donation to the Hetrick-Martin Institute and was able to invite Quinta, Roger and me as his guest to the event. Tickets to this annual gala are $500.00 for general seating, and $1000.00 for VIP seating. We were in the VIP section!


The Gala was held at Cypriani on 42nd Street, which was the old Bowery Savings Bank built in 1921 featuring Italian renaissance design, 65 foot high ceilings, and marble columns, all converted into one of NYC’s premier party halls-- the perfect place to hold a Gala Event.



Everyone was dressed to the nines, me in my black suit and purple shirt (I looked like I might have been with the mafia), Quinta in her simple black dress, Jose in a maroon shirt and Armani suit, and Roger also in his Armani suit decked out in a $67,000.00 watch, $47,000 bracelet, and $15,000 ring all from Cartier. I was laughing because earlier in the evening Roger had a dilemma. How would he get to the grand ball with so much money in jewelry without getting robbed on the SUBWAY. Listen honey, when Beyonce appears on the red carpet decked out in jewels from Cartier, she shows up in a limo not the subway. …………………………Roger opted to take a car service instead.





Due to its star power, it is a red carpet affair. As guests arrived for the reception, we were greeted by cute waiters in white tuxedos serving the most delicious pink belinis.


The tables were exquisitely dressed with centerpieces of glass with balls of flowers floating in them. At each place setting were a program, and an appetizer of shrimp and Asparagus. Roger quietly leaned over to me and said “don’t eat the Asparagus. This place is full of rich gay men and if you hook up you will smell like the Asparagus”. I took his advice (and it’s also why I eat pineapple every morning for breakfast!). Quinta ate all of her asparagus. She said “I don’t give a rat’s ass”.


The waiter of our table was a little flirty with me (if he was cute things would have been different). He would say something to me in English on my right side such as “would you like some white wine” but say something else to me in Spanish on my left side. Too bad, I don’t speak Spanish well enough to understand what he was saying. At one point he asked Roger if he could refresh his water. He then turned to me and said nonchalantly asked “May I top you?”-- YES! My water that is.



The program opened up with the Hetrick-Martin Youth Board doing a short skit about what it would have been like without the Harvey Milk School. Thomas made some opening remarks and then handed the reigns over to Tim Gunn. The first few awards were presented to:



Peter Wilson







The MAC Aids Fund






And to Judith Torres. We all applauded, Roger making sure to flash that diamond ring every time he clapped.



The awards were followed by a brief intermission in which I turned to Jose and said “let’s go hunt Tim Gunn down and take his picture like I did with Sanjaya at the last event”. Jose quickly grabbed his camera, Quinta and Roger followed behind.


Tim Gunn was nowhere to be found. However, BD Wong was at his table chatting, so I quickly grabbed Jose and said here’s my camera take my picture with him. I walked up to BD Wong, explained that I had taken an acting workshop from him (back in 1997 while in Hawaii— he remembered teaching the workshop though not me directly) and posed for a picture. I asked Jose if he wanted me to take his picture, but he was too shy to ask BD. You snooze, you lose.


Another group of people started gathering around another table and we headed there. Sitting, very beautiful, was Eve. I was reluctant to walk up to her, and everyone was snapping her picture so I snapped a few pictures from across the table. Roger vanished (working the room perhaps?) and Quinta headed to the Bathroom. Jose and I did the same.


On the way back from the bathroom, and still looking for Tim Gunn, I noticed that Eve was alone, I walked up to her and politely asked for a picture. She was so sweet and so nice and said sure. I handed Jose my Camera. I asked Jose again if he wanted his picture taken. Again he was shy. I said just do it. I took his picture with Eve. Jose was so excited. As we headed back to our table, I said now go ask BD Wong. This time he did have the courage and I took a picture of him with BD Wong.


As we sat down, dinner was being served. We had a choice of braised short ribs, or fish. I actually wanted the fish, but the fish server was nowhere to be found. I settled for the braised short rib, a big hunk of very tender meat. As the waiter served roger his vegetables, she said to him “can you please move your meat down”. Roger then turned to me and said “well…. I have never ever had anyone ask me to move my meat down!” We both laughed.


During dinner, my husband, the hottest man on Broadway Cheyenne Jackson sang. I love his voice, and I love his eyes (after seeing him in Xanadu, I love his legs and thighs!). He just makes me melt. He grabbed a volunteer from the audience and serenaded her with a song from Altar Boyz, with lyrics like “you make me want to wait” and that because he was a good catholic boy, he would have to master…….
His own fate. Every gay boy in the room wanted to be that woman at that moment.


For Dessert we had a choice of either Chocolate cake with Chantilly Cream, or Ricotta cheesecake with strawberry sauce. Everyone went for the chocolate. I went for the Ricotta. It was good, though after tasting Jose’s chocolate cake, I should have chosen the chocolate.


The Emery award was presented to Mary-Louise Parker. She cried. She spoke of why she was so adamant about this cause, saying she knew what it was like to grow up as outcast, and have other kids make fun of you, or harass you, or throw things at you, like
Twinkies. TWINKIES!

I think every gay person in the room truly understands how important it is for our young LGBTQ youth to be able to go to school in a harassment free environment. Just today, someone from my high school emailed me on facebook saying when did I know I was gay. I always knew that I was gay. It’s just hard to admit something, even to yourself, when you are in high school, watching them totally make fun of the drag queens, and pick on the gay boys who are out. It’s hard to admit it when your brother and his friends call their rivals faggots. It’s hard to be yourself when you think that you will be totally friendless and alone. So you keep it all inside, and you hide it, even from yourself, and you hope and pray that you aren’t gay. But you are.


Following the presentation was the Fabulous Bianca Del Rio who hosted the auction with fabulous items from trips, to having a personal shopper for a day. All starting bids started at $5000. It all went to this worthy cause.



The event rapped up with an after party that was DJ’d by the lady Bunny. I got my opportunity to take a picture with Cheyenne Jackson, Quin and Jose got to get down on the dance floor, and I got to try on the $15,000 bling bling. By the end of the evening, I was tipsy from all the free food and drinks. The Hetrick-Martin institute sure knows how to throw a bash.



On our way out, we stopped by the table to pick up our gift Bags. MAC Make up, teddy bears, Body wash, and computer accessories. I had a blast, it was late… and I had to work the next day!.... and I never found Tim Gunn.

For more information or to make a Donation to the Hetrick-Martin Institute (And I hope you do), visit:

https://www.hmi.org/HOME/Form/Params/forms/1296/default.aspx

Learn Spanish: Si tienes jollas caras por favor no tomes el tren!

Tiene-to have / jollas- jewles / caras-expensive / tome- take / tren- train

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aside from all the glitterarti,it seemed to be a worthwile event. You, Quin, and the others looked absolutely fab in your black attire. I was also impressed with the celebs that showed up and were there to support such a worthy cause. Hopefully, with a new and invorating breeze that's blowing throughout our country, someday,in our lifetime,this too, will become an acceptable part of life, and there will be no need for fund raisers and such for gay rights. Keep up the good work, and also,continue to enjoy yourself in the process.