Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Si Se Puede! Yes We Can!



Tuesday November 4, 2008 was a historic day in the United States. Senator Barack Obama, a man of African descent and born in Hawaii, became the 44th President. Of course Herbelicious and I did our civic duty and headed to the polls after work to vote for Obama. We both had agreed that change was long overdue, and after much consideration-- peering into the future as to where our country would be with Obama as President and then with McCain as president; We liked the picture of what the country would be like with Obama in office.
Do not get me wrong, the picture isn’t by all means perfect, but the picture is better. And even if Obama does not accomplish all he set out to do in office, he represents hope, vision, and change to me. Hope and vision are the stuff that dreams are made of, and without hopes and dreams, we have nothing. Besides, the man was born in Hawaii (like me) how could Obama not be great? =).


I was surprised that the line at our polling place moved so quickly. I’m guessing that people came out in the morning before work rather than after. I cannot remember an election in all my years that had the people talking as much as this one. I think people especially made an effort to vote, WANTED to vote, so eagerly woke up at the crack of dawn.
I am glad people came out to vote. This year alone, I have met so many immigrants who have undergone the process of becoming American citizens. They have done everything the U.S. government has asked of them. But many of them are still waiting just to be sworn in (thanks to the Bush administration backlog), and until they are sworn in, they are not allowed to vote. So I am glad that those who could vote took advantage of that right.
I can’t say that I was always a supporter of Obama (Hillary at first, never McCain). But I do want to share with you the story of how I came to be an Obama supporter.

I met Herbelicious 3 years ago while walking my dog in the park. He was walking his dog as well. We became friends. All we ever wanted was a better place for our dogs to play. The park in our neighborhood, about the size 2 football fields (maybe a little bigger) had a dilapidated dog run. The park was also given $13.5 million dollars to renovate the field and do other projects, but nothing for the dog run. Herbelicious and I started a petition to let our government know that the people wanted the dog run fixed. Of course, they denied us.

A year later, a new girl appeared in our neighborhood, a community organizer (just like Barack Obama was) from a grassroots organization called the Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition. She told us that she could put us in touch with the right people, help us create the proper forum, and get our public officials to listen to us and give us what we wanted. After several letters, news reports, and a huge community forum, Herbelicious and I, and several other members of the community was able to secure $35000.00 for the dog run, and additional monies for other parks projects! Abby’s method appeared to work.


As a result, Abby invited me to the National People’s Action conference in Washington D.C. to teach me more about community organizing. NPA is a supporter of grassroots organizations and is based in Chicago (Obama--Chicago). I got to hear first hand from other people about problems in their communities and what they were doing to help solve these problems. It was at this conference that I first heard the phrase “YES WE CAN!—SI SE PUEDE!”- Obama’s slogan.


As a group we staged PEACEFUL political protests at the White House asking government to take a look at the housing crisis and all the homes being foreclosed. 8000 people every day face foreclosure. We foreclosed the White House.



We protested at the home, yes the HOME of Federal Reserve Bank President Ben Bernanke who helped bail out Wall Street. And when He wouldn’t listen to us at his home, we went to his office at the Federal Reserve Bank where he did hear us and agree to a meeting to discuss our issues.


We went to the department of Homeland Security to protests the backlog of immigrants waiting to be sworn in.



And we staged a protest at HUD, The Department of Housing and Urban Development whose demolition projects have left many homeless.


In all these protests, we had such exceptional crowd control that when police came, they new we were not a threat. They especially laughed when we would cheer “POLICE NEED A RAISE! POLICE NEED A RAISE!”


I was then asked to be a part of a small group of about 10 people to meet with Hillary Clinton’s office, specifically her Deputy Council Phillip Spector (as Hillary was on the campaign trail at the time). I was asked to speak specifically on what she could do about the high school graduation rate in the Bronx being only 35%.

All of these issues raised my awareness of community issues from a grassroots level, the same position Barack Obama is coming from. It opened my eyes to what he was saying.



When Barack won last night, I cried. People in my neighborhood began coming out of their homes and cheering in the streets. One girl (My roommate Christian) ran out of the house so happy, she forgot shoes, and had her dinner in her hand. It was freezing out!

People are Broke, and People are tired. We are ready for change, and we showed that we want change by electing Barack Obama President of the United States.

Learn Spanish: Si Se Puede! Yes We Can!
Si lo hicimos! Yes We Did!

5 comments:

The Herbster said...

I am so fortunate to have been able to experience this amazing new chapter in our country’s history! While I am not a born citizen of these United States - I am a naturalized citizen and have never nor will I ever take that privilege and honor for granted! I am a dreamer and strong believer in hope and aspirations! So, for me Obama is the one! While William is right, he may not be able to accomplish all that needs to be done, he gives us all hope that we can achieve so much and that we are a great Nation and while we aren't perfect (but really what in this world is perfect?) we can pick ourselves up and strive for better!

We must keep this momentum going, every single one of you that reads this can help. Spread the word let’s help Obama just like he is set to help us! Contact your local boards, your local government, grass root groups, shelters, associations, etc. and ask - How can I help? How can we make change happen? How can we ban together to change what needs to change and foster that which makes this country an amazing place to live in. With all its faults and inequalities we still manage to pull up and glow with hope that changes is possible and that those that felt they never had a voice or were truly part of the core of this country they and many others can now say – YES I CAN! We are all one at the end of the day!

I love how this proves that we have the ability to have so many different people from different faiths, customs, ethnic groups, sexual orientations, age and socio-economical backgrounds come together and speak to the world with one voice! and yell from the top of our lungs YES WE CAN!!!

xyzboy said...

Yah... but he went to Punahou :P

Touch Of Aloha said...

Bravo on your success on the dog park issue! It's great that you and your friend "chose" to do something about it rather than not like many others do.

Lastnight was simply amazing. The energy in the air was joyous, harmonious, felt as if we as a nation were ONE! well almost.

It was my husbands first time voting. He became a US citizen several years ago and we were a house divided LOL

All in all, I look forward to seeing 'the change' occur. Hopefully he will do his best for our country!

Anonymous said...

This has been an historical moment in my lifetime; something that I really hadn't expected,but so hoped for. Since I'm somewhat older than your average blogger,I was excited,but mellowed out at the same time. I didn't look at this campaign as racial,(if I were much younger I probably would have) as I was hoping for a Clinton,Obama ticket at first,however, since it didn't go in that direction, I felt that Senator Obama would try his best to restore this country to its former greatness. When a man receives positive feedback from around the world,that,to me, speaks volumes. Pres-elect Obama stated that he might not be able to accomplish his goals in one term, but his vision will not be dimmed by critics and naysayers. The well known comedians are saying that they have no material to work with because the man is so perfect; he's intelligent,articulate,good looking,smart,slim,youngish,doesn't cheat on his wife, a family man, and looks good in his clothes,and the epitome of grace and cool. I'm just sorry that my folks aren't around to witness this magnificent event in history.

Flux said...

I was inspired by Obama ever since his speech at the '04 Demomocratic Convention. It is such an amazing thing to see him come so far so quickly and against all odds. It seems to me he was meant to be here leading our country at one of its lowest times in history. Yes, to teach us how to become contributing citizens and actually hold us accountable for the state of our country.

William, those pics of you in Washington are very inspiring. I hope that I'll find some ways to make a difference, especially now with this Obama Era upon us.

I am saddened by the passing of Proposition 8. I have never been a strong advocate for same-sex marriage but this made me realize that the country is still lacking equality for all of its citizens.
....Robert