Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sanjaya and the Scholarship Fund

My Grandfather Bernardo Layugan came to the United States from the Philippines in the 1940's to work the pineapple plantation. He came here with little more than a 3rd grade education. The Same with my Grandmother Eufemia Macasio. The pineapple industry did not pay these laborers more than minimum wage. It is a wonder today, how my grandparents are so well off living in Hawaii. It is also a wonder how they were able to afford to put my mother through business college. This is the story of many immigrants to the U.S. But for African American and Latino immigrants, Scholarship Funds were put into place over 30 years ago to help their children with the rising cost of college. Nothing was done for the children of Asian immigrants.

Through the generosity of Jose's corporate philanthropy I attended an amazing event. The Today's Minds Tomorrow's Future Gala is a benefit for the Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund (APIASF) -- the largest non-profit organization providing scholarships to Asians and Pacific Islanders since 2003.

Being half Filipino and being born and raised in Hawaii, I identify with being an Asian & Pacific Islander. I had no such scholarship opportunity in place for me when I attended college. My mother tightened up the budget and flat out paid my tuition. I do not even have a student loan to pay back. I was lucky. Because of this, I felt extremely honored Jose invited me to this event to raise money for Asian and Pacific Islanders. It was held at the Hilton Grand Ballroom in New York City. I have only been to the Hilton once before, to watch a performance from the show Bombay Dreams, where afterwards, EVERYONE kept mistaking me for being one of the cast members!

APIASF also honored major contributors to the scholarship program such as:








J. Alexander M. (Sandy) Douglas, Jr.- President of Coca Cola America (he lives in my other favorite city-- Atlanta-- where Coca Cola was born).

And Don Thompson- President of McDonalds North America (don't deny it, we all LOVE McDonalds even though we all hate it.)







It was a black tie optional event, but I chose to just wear a simple black suit, not a tux. The reception started at 6:30PM and hosted a silent auction serving free drinks and hors d' ouevres of red Bombay chicken skewers and mini keish.


Entertainment in the reception room was provided by the U.S. Navy Band.

There were definitely items I was interested in getting, but with starting bids from $600 to $1200 dollars I just could not afford it (someday, when I'm 35 I'll be rich beyond my dreams and will be able to bid).

I wanted the autographed Items from A-Rod (the guy MADONNA is RUMORED to have had an affair with);

Autographed Memorabilia from sexy Olympian Michael Phelps (Love that body!); and my favorite thing, a lavendar autographed guitar from Hanna Montanna herself Miley Cyrus!





As I was browsing the auction Items, in walked in a beautiful well dressed Indian Boy, vaguely familiar. Mental note to Herbelicious - Mr. Gay India 2nd Runner up? (at the gay pride parade, herbelocious and I saw Mr. Gay India and he was so hot!) Jose remarked to me "that guy is famous". "Who is he?" I reply as I pick his headshots up off the auction table. They are being auctioned off. His name does not appear anywhere, and I cannot decipher the autograph on his photos. "I don't remember, but he is famous" Jose replies.


The Hilton Grand Ballroom is beautiful, each table is covered with candles, and on each chair a GIFT BAG!
This is what its all about! the last gala gift bag gave me products from Redken and Prada. What would I get this time?
A DVD about the Asian plight, a leather wallet from Macy's, a McDonald's gift card for free food, and tons of pens and stationary. I am a sucker for stationary, especially since I started blogging and like to keep pens and notebooks handy.


Tables were by assigned seating, and Jose and I had no clue who we were sitting with. I did meet a very friendly Filipino girl and her sister from California. Shirley works for Southwest Airlines-- the company who provided much of the air transportation to the event participants. I discovered that her parents and my parents are from the same region of the Philippines! Small world. She said to me, I can't wait until Sanjaya from American Idol Performs. Ding! Ding! Ding! thats it, the cute Indian boy that I had named Mr. Gay India was Sanjaya Malakar from American Idol Season Six! Mr. Fabulous Hair boy!

"Where is he sitting?" Shirley asks me. "I don't know, let's go hunt him down and take his picture" I reply. We walk over to the table where Sanjaya is just finishing up an interview. "Big fan" I say, "may I have a picture with you?". In the sweetest softest voice he replies "sure!".

Back at the table, Jose remarks "you are horrible. You don't even know who he is, and then you take a picture with him like he is your best friend". I quickly text message Mr. Hair boy NYC Herbelicious and tell him what just happened. Herbelicious replies: "MY NEMESIS! How is his hair?"

The food at this event is delicious. A bean salad with shrimp, and prime rib and potatoes. POTATOES? This is an event for Asians. Where is the rice? Where is the Noodles. My close friends know that I eat EVERYTHING with rice. It is my weakness, and why I will never ever have the abs of a greek god. I publicly announce to the other Asian guests at my table my displeasure for not having rice. The laughingly agree, and Shirley being the optimist, offers that maybe its coming. It never came.

Sanjaya Performed 2 songs from his upcoming world tour. The first song I was very disappointed in. He could barely hit his top notes. The second song was clearly a rip off of "SUPERSTITIOUS" and only has 2 sets of lyrics: what happens when you wake up, we open up our yes-- (it's very superstitous, the writings on the wall) repeated over and over and over again! it was awful! It seemed like he just didn't want to be there.

As Sanjaya was finishing up, and the final presentations were being made, Jose and I snuck out to the reception room where dessert was being served. I return with chocolate mouse and chocolate covered strawberries. YUM! Despite not having rice, I got to meet the fabulous Hair boy, and support something very worth while. On my way home, I stopped by the chinese place down the block and got some rice =).


Learn Spanish: Pelo Malo - Bad Hair

Pelo Bello- Good Hair

Sanjaya con Herbelicious tienen el pelo bello!

Jose No tiene Pelo.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were so vicious to Sanjaya, but, at least u said he had some good hair.Maybe he should do Herbal Essence commercials featuring his song with hot shirtless dancers.Looked like a great event.it's nice to see some Asian American organizations taking care of their own. Or is it run by Caucasians? They did serve potatoes.:)...Robert

The Herbster said...

It's great that we get a glimpse of your background and your family efforts to attain a better future not only for them but for you as well. It is vital that we as people of immigrant parents maintain that connection to our culture and roots. It would be nice if everyone did that even those 6th or 10th generations that have no clue or idea of how their great grandparents came to this country in search of a better life and bright new future...we all seek the same - a better life!

I will give Sanjaya props about his hair - am sure the rollers he used prior to the show to get that nice full curl and the light mist hairspray from TREseme gave his hair the bounce and control he hoped for. His hair is not too styled so it doesn't look as such, but believe me, it is, it's meant to look "natural" - props to your hairstylist Sanjaya! I can recognize good hair maintenance and applaud it when it’s deserved! His singing on the other hand...well for those of you that are able to see William's phone video clip - you will know exactly what I mean when I say - Sanjaya - work that hair baby cuz you need something up on stage that makes you shine!

Robert (aka Patty LaBelle)- YAY!! Finally - keep your opinion coming hon...Inquiring minds want to know what ya think!

Lastly, no rice!!!! OMG - seriously that is just wrong - cruel even - totally NAILS!!!

Touch Of Aloha said...

Ai soos! What kine dat one no more dee rice! No goooood dat one!

LOL Sorry, from one Flip to another you can so imagine what I'm saying :P

And you're SO NOT a Big fan of his, cause if you were, you'd spell his name right LOL -- Sanjaya :P

outnaboutnewyork.com said...

I don't have a clue what you are talking about touch of aloha... big fan here.. his name is spelled right =)