Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Broadway Geeks!!.... I'm one of them.

Although I am in advertising now, my friends know that my heart is in entertainment. I came from entertainment. I was a performer-a singer to be exact (though as a child growing up you could say I was practically a professional Filipino folk dancer). In college I majored in Voice for Musical Theatre.
In 1997 I left Hawai'i specifically so I could pursue being a Broadway actor hoping to get into my dream show Miss Saigon. A few shows and tours later (not Miss Saigon), I ended up working for Bank of America in Atlanta.


Then in 2004, I did land my dream show-- MISS SAIGON.
Yes I know I mentioned Miss Saigon 4 times to many in this short story but it's my FAVORITE show. In college I had a huge fight with my roommates who said that I was unapproachable because all I talked about was Miss Saigon. Whatever. Haters.

When that show ended, I got a job at Actors' Equity Association (the Broadway acting union) in NYC, first handling Broadway Workers Comp Claims (you would be surprised to know how many injuries take place in one night on Broadway without the audience ever knowing), and then as the business representative who handled the contracts between actors and talent agents.

Today I work in advertising which I totally love. But I still am a theatre geek. I still have friends in the industry, and know of several tricks to get cheap (if not free) show tickets. I see shows all the time. I think my heart wasn't really into being an actor, so much as just being around the theatre people. So once a year, I head to where all the other theatre geeks head to: The Broadway Flea Market in Shubert's Alley.

Here you can find that rare piece of music from that obscure show; playbills and posters autographed by the stars;

teddy bears dressed like Broadway characters;
and cookies which the girl claimed to be in the shape of dancers but look at the picture and tell me if you agree. I think she was selling something else, something maybe subliminal to all the gay boys who just adore Broadway--like me.

Either way, the whole flea market is to benefit wonderful charities like Broadway Cares Equity Fights Aids. YAY!

They Blocked off all of 44th street.
I saw the green baby from the show Wicked,
and the boys at the Broadway Bares table were dressed in everything all at once!
I bought Christmas cards designed by Broadway Star Sutton foster, so look for them in your mailbox this Christmas! And a dog collar for my baby Cassi.

Herbelicious and Ivan eventually joined me, but they seemed bored of the whole Gala. So we headed to 8th avenue where a New York City Street Fair was taking place, one of the biggest I have ever seen. It looked like it stretched for miles- too big - (bet you never thought you'd here me say that about anything- too big- HA!).
Herbelicious and Ivan ended up modeling several winter beanies before decided on purchasing some.


Then it was off to lunch and BIG margaritas- too big- they made me sick. I know Herbelicious was sitting there laughing at me the whole time thinking "amateur", because I always say that to him about everything that I do well that he sucks at. He could sure suck down that drink.

Anyway, it was a fun afternoon, I got to be a geek, Charity was supported, and Herbelicous, Ivan, and my dog Cassi have some new things to sport this winter.

The Broadway Flea Market happens every Fall around Mid September in Shubert Alley, on 44th Street Between Broadway and 8th Avenue.

7 comments:

outnaboutnewyork.com said...

Hey guys!! i tried a different format in telling this story where i inserted the pictures where they belong. Let me know what you think, or if it made the story too choppy for your liking. You tell me, should i just write and you go back and look at the pics, or do you like the pic being right there next to the sentence where i'm talking about it? dont forget to let me know what you think of the story in itself. Of course, everything I write on this blog has truly happened, and all the pictures are taken from my point of view from my camera.

The Herbster said...

It was a fun afternoon...a perfect example of why I love NYC soooo freaking much! In the city there is always something going on, from street fairs, flea markets, park performers, etc....the city heart beat are it's people and New Yorkers know how to find ways to keep busy and have fun! Next year we have to blog on the cultural parades that take place from early summer to late fall.

I did have fun at the Broadway Flea market. I may sometimes feel out of place because I don't know all the songs and tons of factoids William knows about Broadway and the shows, but I do enjoy it. William can attest that I have cried and laughed at the shows I have been fortunate to attend with him.

We did have fun at Chevy's with the margaritas (anyone can plainly see I was drinking water in that picture :0 not a margarita - that was after ;]) William and I have a funny reaction to margaritas - we laugh and laugh for no reason just from looking at each other...it's fun!!!!

Stay tuned for more fun postings...

The Herbster said...

One last thing....I have seen the video (YES there is a video of William in the King and I - and I must say that I wasn't surprised - but was very impressed to see him sing and act) ask him to load it up so everyone can see that and his shows at the amusement park - those are total classics!

BTW - I like this format better it's easier to read and the pics give you a clearer idea of what you are talking about.

GOOD JOB BILLY!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey William, it's good that you were able to kill 3 birds with one stone, and I also like the photo format that you arranged; they are right where they belong, and, as usual, your blog flowed smoothly. I remember that you told me of your dream to act on the stage,and the Miss Saigon play was the venue that you were sort of aiming for. You were fortunate to have your dream realized,even if your aim to act didn't pan out (though it's never too late) You've moved on to a fabulous career in advertising,one of your many career ventures that you've mastered with great aplomb. I was heartened to read how much you and herbalicious enjoyed the day,even though he beat you at drinking. LOL
The flea market was a success,and it sounds like you acquired some great stuff.

Anonymous said...

Hey,it's Debbie deb, and I don't know how anonymous found its way on the Broadway Geeks! blog.

Anonymous said...

I like this style (pics along w/ what you're saying) easier to reference ;)

I will have to hook up with you whenever I get to NY so you can be my tour guide and we could see a show :) I love your pictures! It's so neat to see NY off the beaten path lol

Crazy Latino said...

Was that Herbert in the last pic with the Mexican flag wrapped around his back?