Friday, September 26, 2008

Every Day can be a GREAT day!



I thought I had nothing to blog about yesterday. I felt bad because I also felt like I was letting my readers down by not bringing you another story. It got worse when at lunch, Herbelicious and I saw Tabatha Coffey (love her!) on the street and I didn't have my camera again! "I was appalled". I need to remember to take my camera out of my work bag and secure it in my belt holster. Herbelicious shouted to her "love your show" to which she replied "thank you" as she dug into her purse for something. She looked fierce dressed sleekly in an autumn overcoat, with her platinum blond hair. For those of you who don't know who Tabatha Coffey is, she is a judge on the Bravo TV show Shear Genius, but also hosts her own show called Tabatha's Salon Take Over. Its a FABULOUS show where Tabatha (whose own successful salon has a 3 month waiting list) goes in and turns failing hair salons, into success stories- but not without a whole lot of drama. Tabatha is a no nonsense Australian who tells it like it is. She tells stylist they dress like whores and need to be more professional; or to get out of the salon because they don't know how to style hair. I'm actually new to watching the show, but Herbelicious tells me that someone cries in every episode. If you don't have Bravo TV (like me)-yes I don't have TV-can you believe it?- you can watch clips of the show at:

http://video.bravotv.com/player/?fid=35824

(It's not that I don't have a TV, I have a flat screen, but since I don't have cable service or a converter box, and flat screens don't have antennas, I don't have TV!)

Later, as Herbelicious and I was leaving work I realized that this is New York. There is ALWAYS something going on that I can blog about. As we headed to the D train, Herbelcious and I encountered trucks from Universal City Studios filming a movie right on 41st street, down the block from our office. 
Movies get filmed in NYC so often that I have become oblivious to them. 

They were filming a movie called  
  
Three Kings (at least that's what the name tags on the crew people said), and there were militaristic cars, and extras posing as reporters everywhere. 
They asked us to clear one side of the street and then they began hosing it down, not sure if it was to clean the street or to give it a wet look.


A group of men in military uniforms began marching down the sidewalk in preparation for the scene. A lot of people started gathering to watch, blocking the sidewalk which upset a lot of New Yorkers who just wanted to get home. 

We watched for 5 or 10 minutes and then we headed toward the D train at Bryant Park. 

When we got to Bryant Park, we noticed a crowd had gathered on the lawn for a concert.
 A sign said free classical music and opera after work Sept 30, Oct 1, 2, 6, and 8. 




Today was the Orchestra of St. Luke's playing clash tango music. It was an overcast day, there was a crispness in the air. The leaves falling off the trees, and the beautiful music playing made it feel like Herbelicious and I were in a movie of our own.
 Even the way the statues were lit up in the park added to the moment. Does this ever happen to any of you? Like when I get off the train with my ipod, and the music sequence by chance, seems to fit the moment to a T, like it's the soundtrack of my life. I love when that happens. This is what living life is about. It is about taking each moment, and appreciating its specialness. If you feel like things are boring, or going wrong, all you need to do is step back, and look around.
You will see that there are millions of tiny moments happening all at once everywhere. We just need to learn to stop, look, listen, and be grateful for those moments. Each day before I go to bed, I try to write down 5 things that I am grateful for (I got this from Oprah Winfrey-Love her!). It has changed my life. Now, every day is a great day.

3 comments:

Angie said...

okay, so i'm gonna try the Oprah thing. glad to hear it's working.

don't worry about disappointing your fans when you don't post. to me, it means you're living! you'll share/post when you feel like it!

The Herbster said...

I love days like those when you walk out of the building you work at and you realize how great it is to live in NYC. Movie is being shot in one block. Free concerts down the street. People sitting in the park listening to a classical piece while tons of commuters walk by rushing to get home, while the sky is gray and filled with that little crispness of cold that reminds us fall is here. I love NYC!

Seeing Tabatha was great, she looks better in person - I am usually not a fanatic type, but I found myself all happy to see her. She was nice yet aloof in her response, I would love to be her Assistant, I like that she is a total bitch yet she has a heart too...odd combo.

Thanks to William I have been writing in my journal too, and while at first it was hard to find 1 or 2 things to be thankful or grateful off during the day. Now there are days when I have 8 or 10 things I am grateful for.

BriGuy said...

I love Tabatha and her show! She's so blunt, love it! I probably would have ran up to her and did something to piss her off just so she'd go off on me.

The Oprah thing sounds like a good thing to do for sure. Nothing like going to sleep with a smile on your face and good energy. Might wake up with it still going.