Friday, September 5, 2008

United Nations






Today I took a lunchtime excursion. I had a choice between a street fair on 47th street (I'm really weary about eating street food since I got the runs one time) or the United Nations building on 1st Avenue- both were walking distance from my office. My friend Jose convinced me that the garden at the United Nations was beautiful so he and I and Herbelicious headed there-- it's totally FREE!
The site of all the flags of the world was amazing to see. In 4 years of living in NYC I never even thought to visit the United Nations, just to drive past it. I didn't know we were allowed to visit. I thought it was some super secure place that only world leaders could go to. The buildings are architecturally beautiful and somewhat retro.
Of course we had to go through a security checkpoint just like at the airport. They made me take off my belt, my watch, and empty out all my pockets. I got to keep my shoes on at least. Jose had to check his bag in. Herbelicious asked if he could get frisked.
Once inside, we noticed the decor was really 60's retro. There was a big water stain on one of the walls that Herbelicious called The Virgin Mary stain in honor of all those people who see stains on their walls and claim to have religious experiences, like the Jesus in the Toast. It didn't look like that to me. It looked more like a giant dripping vagina.
We headed out to the garden only to find that it was a big mess "closed for renovations". Great, I had gotten undressed and everything. I was also really hungry (it was my lunch break) and we wasted 30 minutes trying to get to a garden that wasn't even open.
As we left, we looked at some of the art work out front, a giant gold ball and a gun with its barrel tied in a knot. Herbelicious wanted me to take his picture as if he was holding the giant gold ball, but he just couldn't get the pose right. Herbelicious, I have two photos in my hand.... you are out! I ended up having to pose for the picture myself.
On the way back to my office, I hoped that we would find someplace to eat, and low and behold we came across the Film Studio where Rachel Ray films her show (I love her!). I couldn't believe it! it was literally 2 blocks from my office. How could I not know this? We walked passed the hoards of people waiting in line wondering if there were any extra tickets. We settled for Lunch at Cosi's.

2 comments:

The Herbster said...

First of all I didn't ask to be frisked - I will admit had the frisking taken place it would have made for a more exiciting trip to the UN. We obviously missed any sings that explained that the gardens were closed due to renovations. It was odd stepping into a building that feels as if time has kept it in the 60's - it was a bit of a Twilight Zone feeling - we should go back and see what other gems (such as the huge virginal water stain on the wall) we could find. One last clarification - maybe I didn't take a good picture because the photographer was lousy at giving directions...today you are in - tomorrow you are out!!! auf Wiedersehen!

PS - I encourage other readers to post comments, I'm sure am not the only one who has something to say!

BriGuy said...

I would have never thought the public would be allowed to visit the UN either. Sounds exciting! And I have to say, I opt for the Virgin Mary stain as opposed to the dripping V-word. bleh! Oh the horrible images I got from that.

Frisking sounds fun too.