Monday, September 8, 2008

The Hawaiian Princess of the Bronx- it isn't me!



It was mid Saturday afternoon and I was on my way home from Manhattan to the Bronx. It was such a hot day, that I didn’t want to wait for the D express train, but jumped on the B local train just to get out of the heat and into the air conditioned subway car. Who cared that the train was going local and stopping at every stop, it was nice and cool, plus I got a seat.
As I sat down, I noticed there was a woman sitting in the back of the car reading to her 8-year-old daughter, or rather the 8-year-old girl was reading to her. Across from me standing in the doorway was this huge man. HUGE, not fat, but rather a solidly built man.
As we approached 161st Street, the back door to the train car closest to the lady and her daughter, opened and in walked a woman. She walked to about the middle of the car before she began her speech. “Excuse me everybody, I don’t mean to bother you, just trying to make some money here to get something to eat.”
Suddenly the woman reading with her daughter piped up “Get that shit out of my face, get a fucking job.”
“You don’t know me,” replied the homeless woman. She continued ignoring the woman’s comments, “as I was saying folks, I am just trying to make an honest living….”
“Honest living my ass!” said the woman with her daughter, “Get that shit out from in front of my kid you fucking piece of trash, get a fucking job and get outta my face!”
“Fuck you bitch!” the homeless woman replied. “You don’t me, I am trying to get a job, you don’t know my situation, you sitting there all….”
“You need a fucking job? You need a fucking job? Get over here and lick my pussy!” Said the mother. People in the car started to snicker. Even I started to laugh, but stopped quickly. You could see everyone trying to hold it in. No one dared laugh out loud else you face becoming the focus of the argument.
“Fuck you bitch, talking that shit and in front of your kid, have respect! Bitch, this ain't none of your business. Just shut the fuck up, Lick your pussy, I’ll kill you, I’ll kill your kid, I ain't got no home, I fucking follow you off this train and kill you and your kid”
The other women shouting back at her “mind my business? fuck you bitch, don’t tell me what to say in front of my kid, kill me, fucking come over here and let me see you try to kill me!” It started getting intense.
The homeless woman walked to the opposite end of the car nearer to where I was. It got quiet. The mother went back to the book with her daughter as the homeless woman started her speech again. “As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted….”
“You still with that shit!” shouted the other woman.
“Fuck you bitch!” shouted the homeless woman. “I’ll kill you, you don’t know me. I’m a fucking Hawaiian Princess! I have a mansion and land and everything in Hawaii. I’m a fucking Hawaiian Princess, show some respect!”. It was very clear to me, being born and raised in Hawaii, that this woman was NOT a Hawaiian princess. I would guess she was not one bit Hawaiian.
It started getting heated again, the two woman shouting back and forth to each other. Poor little girl, she looked frightened, not sure what to do, trying to pretend to read her book silently like a good little girl. Suddenly the train stopped and the woman and her daughter got off.
No sooner had they gotten off, the Hawaiian Princess began her speech again. “As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, I’m just trying to make a…”
“How you going stand there….” Piped up the HUGE guy “and ask us for money when you just got through telling all of us that you a Hawaiian princess with a mansion and shit in Hawaii, you crazy bitch you crazy.”
“That fucking bitch!” the homeless woman said. “If I see her again, I’ll kill her and her kid”. She stormed out through the doors between train cars to the next car. I don’t know why she just didn’t do that in the first place.

4 comments:

The Herbster said...

William we all know this was you! That's how you get when you have coffee...(for those of you that don't know - don't give William Coffee - EVER - he gets super cranky - like Hawaiin Princes cranky).

In all seriousness - wow - this story is really sad, mostly because of what the little girl witnessed and because instead of breaking the cycle, chances are she may someday do the same. Hopefully she will encounter respectful and understanding people in her lifetime that will make her realize we can't jump to conclusion and hastly judgements of others. Especially of any Hawaiin Princesses away from home :)

Angie said...

Don't really know how to respond to that. I see the products of that every day in my class.

On a lighter note, I LOVED your photos! You have some really nice work here. Have you ever considered submitting a photo to Jones soda? The photos on this post reminded me of Jones.

Chelle said...

First of all.... how dare she say she is a Hawaiian Princess, especially because true Hawaiians wouldn't threaten to kill anyone's Keiki. Second of all, if she was trully a Hawaiian Princess, she would be back on ka 'aina fighting sovereignty, and third, if she was a true Hawaiian Princess, then why would she beg for money. Sister needs to noho i lalo a kuli kona waha!

Don't get me started with this Hawaiian crap, she's making Hawaiians look stupid! Ugh!

Anyways, this was an interesting blog to read.

'Ihilani / Pake (can't put kahakos over my vowels)

BriGuy said...

So giving William coffee is like feeding a gremlin after midnight? I'll keep that in mind.

Both of those ladies were crazy, but the woman with the child should have definitely known better than to act all PMSy in front of her kid, crazy women, glad I'm gay!