Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fashionistas Abound
















This week is Fashion Week in NYC.  As a gay man, I cannot let this week go by without making a comment on the festivities.  When I first visited NYC 10 years ago, I came across the tents in Bryant Park where fashion week was taking place.  People were on the street out front handing out magazines of the fashions being showcased.  I thought it was interesting, but didn't really give it a second thought.  It seemed the only people who cared back then where Chic Fashionistas, designers, and models. No one else.
    Today with such TV shows as Project Runway and Top Model, everyone knows about Fashion Week, and what goes on in the white tents. Everyone wants in on the action.  People flock to Byrant Park hoping to catch glimpses of famous celebrities attending the "by invitation only" shows, or maybe so they can brag to their friends that they were there where Project Runway is reality.
    My Friend Quinta and I are two such people.  I wouldn't call us obsessed with the show, but we do follow along when we can.  Quinta and I even practiced our "signature model walks" just in case one day we got asked to do a runway show at Bryant Park.  We both bought digital cameras so that we could be photographers.  We carry our camera's everywhere, sometimes taking interesting pictures of fashion taking place on the streets in NYC.  I have taken pictures of Quinta in high fashion.
     Quinta even went as far as buying a sketch book and created her own line of clothing-- Manshion Boxx-- Men's wear inspired by women's clothing.  For her birthday, I bought her a Ken doll dressed in Manshion Boxx Wear inspired from her drawings.  Last month, a fashion magazine came across my desk at work that showcased clothing that I would call Manshion Boxx Wear.  Quinta may be on to something.
     So here we were standing outside of the tents at Bryant Park.  We had no invitations so there was no way we could get in.  Just pretend.  We did our Runway walks in front of the tents, and then watched as the real models went in to the Backstage Salon. 
       Does anyone know how one actually gets a real invitation?  It seems that my boss knows the answer.  She sent me an email last week saying to RSVP yes for her to attend the Project Runway Finale show on September 12.  I was so excited for her.  Actually I wasn't.  I was ENVIOUS.  Didn't she need an assistant to go with her?  Miranda Priestly in Devil Wears Prada took her assistant.  Why couldn't I go?  I dare not ask.  I don't want her to turn into Miranda Priestly. 
    This morning a glimmer of hope.  My boss is being sent to Los Angeles tomorrow morning for a very important meeting.  She won't be able to attend.  Maybe she'll give me her invitation! Ha!   
     "Ma'am, I'm so sorry you won't be able to attend the Project Runway Finale this Friday.  I know you were so looking forward to it. "
     "Yes I know, I called them today and told them that I was not going to be able to attend and to cancel my RSVP".
      What!  why didn't you tell them that your assistant would attend in your place!  I could take lots of pictures and great notes for you (well actually for my blog).  
    Fashion week in Bryant Park is free to attend provided you stay outside of the tents.  Its still very exciting. You wouldn't necessarily be lying if you said you were at Bryant Park for the Project Runway Finale Fashion show.  You just wouldn't be telling the whole truth.
     

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo J! I would love to see fashion week in "action!" The hype, the clothes, the models, how amazing! And you goof....RR is only how many blocks away? And you never knew?! You should call in sick one day and go stand in line for tickets lol

The Herbster said...

William,

First I must comment on the pictures. LUV the pics of you and Quin - I can see the sadness and disappointment in your eyes for not being allowed in...aaaawww. Who is that lizzard boy in yellow? Very Chic! You should have asked that he show off his catwalk! Work it!

As an avid viewer of PRW - I have to say that I am a bit nervous to find out the winner but I hope it turns out to be Korto - she has a good esthetic and has a fresh eye with fabric choices and colors - totally loved the seatbelt coat!!! Her only true competitor is Leanne - she does amazing structural pieces and has a very high end fashion look to her pieces as well. William, keep up the work and make it work!

You must also share with your bloggers on the Pillipino version of the show!

Quin - if you ever need a model for Manshion Boxx - holla back girl!

outnaboutnewyork.com said...

Herbelicious you are so right that I should bring up that Project Runway is becoming a world phenomenon! Having a mother from the Philippines I looked up Project Runway Philippines on Youtube and it is just as entertaining. They speak enough english in the Philippines that anyone can still follow along. The gay boys are catty-er, the designs more outrageous. They have their own version of Tim Gunn named Jo-JI complete with glasses and attitude! All of this takes place at SOFA - the School of Fashion Arts located in Manilla.
The boys make comments like "I star Eli (another male cast member), I do not heart Eli because he is not as cute as me". When it's time to choose partners they choose people not based on talent, but rather because they speak the same dialect. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hEpCQXNR5c

Anonymous said...

Fashion week is not nearly as cool as it used to be. I can remember when it was shown on cable TV for approximately one week, and then cameras went behind the scenes to get the scoop on the latest after parties;there were interviews with various designers, old and up and coming, and the models had names and some semblance of personality and intelligence. But things change,and not necessarily for the better. Debbie said..........

Crazy Latino said...

It takes a true fashionista to appreciate the nuances of Fashion Week in NYC and you have got it, babe. Loved the pics and I thought you looked ab fab! I was hoping you would catch Janice Dickinson and her models there--LOVE HER!!! (Catch her latest episodes--she is in rare form!) Can't wait to hear more of your adventures!!

Tyler said...

Will- love your blog; you're a innate storyteller, very smooth and lyrical. I'm beyond J that i missed NY fashion week, thx for the great pics! I absolutely J'adore PR5 (PR4 was the better). Looking at the final collections, seems like Leanne, Korto, and Jerrel (??) are the top 3...my fav is Leanne, she's uber-chic, strong POV, and beautiful, clean lines...and i'm partial to sculptural style (balenciaga, or FW09 CK)....so do you think your boss would have let you go in her place if you told her how much you love PR? Can't wait to see you soon and maybe have a "Will" adventure....smooches- TyTy

Chelle said...

I love fashion week! I know I'm not very fashionable, I don't use outrageous clothes and never really fixes myself up. But hey, I love to watch people. Remember we used to go to Ala Moana just to people watch. We always made up stories of why they were there and what they were saying. I miss those days. We had no care in the world and no responsibilities!

BriGuy said...

Man I would give my left nut to go to the Project Runway finale. I love that show! I don't really know why, because I honestly don't give much thought to fashion. Jeans and a t-shirt suit me just fine. But it's so fun to watch all the bitchiness and drama. I also love to see the finished product, whether it's hideous, or truly divine. Heidi Klum is fun, can't really stand Nina, Michael Kors is a hoot, and who could forget Tim Gunn, "Make it work!"