Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Little Kid in All of Us














Why is it that when kids are playing with their imaginary friends, we say they are creative, but when an adult plays with his imaginary friends, we say that he is crazy?

I remember summer growing up as a kid playing ALL day long without a worry. Once in the 4th grade, I was playing with my friends and completely forgot that I had a piano lesson. When I got home, the teacher was there waiting for me rather upset, but there was no real consequences other than having to do extra scales. Today as an adult, I cannot forget about my responsibilities. If I forget to "go to work" bills will not be paid, and I might end up on the street. Every so often, I'll think back about that time when it was so easy to just be a kid with no worries playing with my toys.
I found a place in NYC where it is totally normal for me to play and be a kid again. I brought Herbelicious along with me. It was a rainy day and we really had nothing better to do. It was totally fun, and totally free. It brought back so many memories, and just for an instant, we forgot about the crazy world outside. FAO SCHWARTZ.
The store is amazing and it allows for you to have fun and explore the possibilities of your imagination, whether you are young, or just young at heart. Upon entering the store, you are greeted by a cast of employees dressed as characters, like toy soliders, doctors, and even Harry Potter. Every where you turn is a wonderment--giant life size plush dragons and dinosaurs, and a ceiling covered with hundreds of color changing lights that remind me of a discotech.
I have been on a real safari in Africa, but if all you have is an afternoon and a limited budget, visit the FAO Schawartz petting zoo. It is just as good. Every animal from every continent can be found there. Tigers, elephants, kangaroos, horses, turtles, you name it, it is there all so soft and cuddly, and made to be touched.
In the Tanner doll section, you will instantly recognize characters from your past and present. Every girl and gay boy remembers spinning around, checking your belt, your crown, and your golden lasso as you transformed into Wonder Woman! Herbelicious and I even found a couple of boy dolls that looked like us! Clearly gay, clearly fashion conscious, complete with the same pair of shades Herbelicious and I wear.
In the next section, we found a nursery where a doctor greeted Herbelicious with a baby doll that could totally pass as his. It was lifelike in every way, even in weight. I would say it even had his hair and eyes. Herbelicious looked great as a father but when the doctor put a baby in my arms, it was clear that I was not ready yet for fatherhood. Or maybe it was because the baby she gave me was clearly too ugly to be my baby lol.
If you love Barbie, then you must visit Barbieland. FAO Schwartz has a fashion runway of barbie dolls that move along a conveyor belt stopping to pose at the end of the runway. We got there just in time to see what appeared to be TYRA BANKS at the end of the runway. In this section, you can also design your own Barbie. Once designed, you could have the doll made up for about $30 to $60 dollars. Herbelicious and I totally jumped at the chance to play Project Runway and design our own Barbies complete with outfits. I designed my doll RAQUEL though I think I shall call her Desiree.
Meandering through the store, you come across hundreds of toys that bring back memories. Hot Wheels, chemistry sets, Legos, and SMURFS!! How could I forget the little blue men who lived all alone in the woods. All those blue men (with blue balls), just one girl (who had such a raspy voice she could have been a guy}, one muscleboy, one daddy, and one always looking in the mirror..... How gay.
And for those of you who had piano lessons like me, a GIANT piano like the one in the movie BIG. All you have to do is take your shoes off and jump around.
It was a magical afternoon for Herbelicious and me. I think we spent a total of 45 minutes there, but it seemed like forever. We didn't buy anything, and the store didn't seem to mind as they encouraged us to play. Now that I think of it, I don't recall seeing any kids there, or maybe it was because I was just too busy being a kid myself. Go there, bring a camera, bring a friend, and forget about work, and forget about all your bills, even if its just for 45 minutes.

8 comments:

Jill said...

Hey, Billy, it's me, Jill! Angie passed on the link to your blog. Gosh, NYC looks totally fabulous. You're totally living the life!

Anonymous said...

Hey William; it seems so strange that people are calling you Billy; it seems to fit your foray into your childhood at FAO Schwartz. I always thought that, that store was an elitist, mega expensive place, but it's good to be proven wrong sometimes. Since I'm somewhat older than you, the Barbie and smurfs were past my time, but I'm glad you were able to get some enjoyment out of them. Sometime, in the not too distant future, I plan on bringing my 15yr old son to FAO, and see how much he likes the experience; I'm sure that he will enjoy it as much as I probably will.

Anonymous said...

OMG! You're sooo lucky! BIG is one of my all time favorite movies when I was kid and I always wanted to run up and down that piano....now I know where to go :P It's CRAZY to think that you can actually design your own Barbie?! Sounds so awesome and I'm laughing at the pic of Herb w/ the baby. At first thought, I thought the "DR" was a friend of you guys lol...I would love to dress up and work there. Sounds like FUN!

The Herbster said...

For those of you wondering why my comment was deleted by William earlier - here is why: I posted it prior to editing and my comment was filled with typos, etc. (the real reason is I wrote something really raunchy and dirty about Billy and he didn't like ;( - so much for freedom of speech!!!!

Anyway, here is my comment:

I am so glad to see Will's blog become more popular and that some of his lost friends are now able to learn more of Will (sorry Billy).

Since I was there (FAO) I must comment. I do agree that it was nice to step away from the "adult" world and be a kid among all these amazing toys and people, who like us were there for the same to either show their kids of all the wonderful possibilities or to relive their own youth by playing with TOYS (as shown by the shall we say husky boy playing the floor keyboard - Will that was NAILS!)

One of the reasons I enjoy spending time with William is his ability to live the moment and his uncanny ability to shoot from the hip! - He is a shooter alright!(internal joke). He truly lives the moment and makes it fun for those around him always he is never shy about being himself (no matter the place or time, subways, work, church, street, parades, clubs, cars, buses - name the place and he will be himself!), and that is rare to find in many adults. By the way there were other pictures of William's pellejo toy (feel free to ask him what this means!), but somehow they failed to make the final cut (another internal joke)...I wonder why?

By the way - my baby was cute and we did have matching hair...but I was having a totally amazing hair day (even with all the rain!) amazing! Look at the volume and the wave that occured all on it's own! Ok back to reality!
Holding that baby made me feel paternal - aaaaawwww but it's the pooping and crying that brings me back to reality! There was a baby that looked like William but we were forbidden from touching it...we were told it was a colicky with lactose intolerance and addicted to pineapple juice...coincidence - don't think so!

Our dolls are amazing and come fall will totally be rocking those styles....you know what we must make T-shirts of those dolls and wear them out...with a caption like - How many people can say they have their own doll? - Oh relax! Am totally kidding (NOT).

Keep posting Jill, Debbie and Dawn! And do share some good Billy scoops (eeww that sounds gross) - inquiring minds want to know!

outnaboutnewyork.com said...

For those of you with Facebook accounts, the Rest of the pictures from our wonderful day at FAO Schwartz can be found at:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2002163&id=1470003285

Anonymous said...

Just when I thought your blog couldn't get ANY gayer ;)...

Anonymous said...

The Pizza Paparazzi story rocks! I think it's the essence of your blog and of you. That natural instinct and gift for picking up(no pun intended) or picking out the fabulous things in life! Keep em coming Billy:)

BriGuy said...

We certainly don't want you ending up on the street, there's enough Hawaiian Princesses out there.

As for Fao Schwartz, that sounds like my kind of place! I'll definitely mark that as a must see if I ever get the chance to visit NY.